Enjoy the Benefits of Conservation Tillage
Eastern Klickitat Conservation District (EKCD) makes conservation tillage more affordable and accessible for local farmers by offering a low-cost no-till drill rental.
No-till drills are a tool to support conservation tillage. Farmers intentionally leave residue from the previous year’s crop on the soil surface and then use the specialized no-till drill planter to cut through residue and establish seed for their new crop with minimal soil disturbance.
How can conservation tillage help me?
Effective conservation tillage helps battle soil erosion and has a number of other important benefits over conventional tillage, including:
- Improved water conservation
- Reduced fuel consumption
- Added planting and harvesting flexibility
- Reduced labor requirements
- Improved soil tilth
how do i rent the no-till drill?
Contact EKCD today (509-773-5823 x5) to learn more about our drill or reserve it.
- A fully refundable $250.00 deposit is required, and the rental rate is $5.00/acre ($20.00 minimum).
- You will need a tractor with a 3-point hitch and least 45 horsepower.
- The drill can be transported behind a pick-up truck with a 2-inch ball hitch.
The drill is available thanks to a grant from the Yakama Nation.